Following the civil war and freeing of those in slavery, our ancestors felt a need for a place to assemble with other believers of God and those seeking God's salvation. The exact date when they organized is not known. It could have been as early as 1870. It was in 1881 when Paul H. and Ellen T. Lee permitted the group to meet in a large building located on the present site. They later donated the building and one acre of land to "said parties and their successors as trustees and deacons to be used only as a Missionary Baptist Church known as "Lee's Crossroad" as recorded in Book H7, page 325 by the Johnston County Registrar of Deeds on December 22, 1898. Thus, the church bears the name of its' donors.
A record book of church activities dating from 1892 to 1897 (pgs 31-98) shows there were thirty-three (33) female and thirty-one (31) male members in 1893. Fifteen scholars were present for service on October 13, 1895 and three (3) pennies were collected. Some of the members at that time were Cellia & Bryant Morgan, Julian & L. E. Barnes, Clem & Ador Whitley, Asin & Mollie Lee, May Allison, Melvina and Robert Dunston, G. S. Watson, Eller Williamson, J. H. and W. L. Montague, Maggie Watson, W.J. Lee, George Mitchiner, Rufus Merritt, Joe Heath, Eliza Cook, Cannie Duke G. H. Hinton, S. C. McCullers, C. R. & Hettie Pair and S. H. Heath. A grand rally day was held on the third Sunday in November 1895 with different divines preaching at 11:00 AM, 3:30 PM and 7:30 PM.